Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rosemary Crackers

Thursday night is my night to cook for my roommates. I peruse food blogs the week or weekend prior, hungrily scrounging for something to feed them. Nothing is too elaborate or too simple; I'm willing to try anything.

Tonight, I made a double batch of Garlic Soup, based on this recipe, a salad (with added pears and thawed, once-frozen strawberries that, combined with balsamic vinegar and olive oil made a kind of sweet vinaigrette), and Rosemary Crackers.

The soup turned out pretty well (it uses French bread to make it creamier, instead of using a lot of cream), and the salad was delicious (we ate the entire thing). The pictures didn't turn out so wonderful, since it was already dark, and my camera sadly couldn't work its magic.

Maybe it's just because I baked them earlier in the day, when I could set them on my windowsill in full sunlight, but I feel that the Rosemary Crackers were something special. So that's what I'm going to share tonight.







ROSEMARY CRACKERS
by Elena's Pantry

Ingredients

1-3/4 cup Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, Finely Chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 whole Egg


Directions

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and rosemary.

In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and egg.

Stir wet ingredients into almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Roll the dough into a ball and press between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness.
Remove top piece of parchment paper. Transfer the bottom piece with the rolled out dough onto a baking sheet. Cut dough into 2-inch squares with a knife or pizza cutter.

Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden.

Let crackers cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes, then serve!



I rolled most of mine a little too thick, but I still managed to get twenty-three crackers out of this.

As for almond flour, I went to Trader Joe's and picked up their Almond Meal (it's with the other flours), and it worked just fine. Apparently, the King Arthur Flour brand makes some, but they surely don't sell it at Safeway.

I'm fairly certain that you could use dried rosemary instead of fresh (reducing the quantity by about two-thirds, of course). But along the path to both of the bus stops I use at various times during the week are huge stretches of rosemary bushes. A two minute stroll with a handy pair of scissors, and I've got fresh herbs. Maybe I do look a little silly with my clunky semi-kitchen scissors and possibly bare feet, but it's worth it. Just be sure to wash any rosemary you find roaming the "wild."


Just for curiosity's sake, here are the (poor) pictures of the soup and salad:



No comments:

Post a Comment