Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hobbit Food: Mushroom Stroganoff

If you've read Lord of the Rings, you may have picked up on the fact that hobbits absolutely love mushrooms. I suspect they'd choose mushrooms over a chocolate cake any day. If I'm remembering correctly, early on in the first book, Frodo and company are given a basket of mushrooms to carry on their journey like blueberry muffins.

I don't have as much of a vibrant passion for mushrooms as hobbits do. I think, more than anything, I want to like mushrooms more than I actually do. For the sake of the hobbits, you know. I am enough of a mushroom fan, however, to know that mushrooms cooked just right are absolute bliss.

When I came home from class today, I was absolutely starving. I had a late breakfast, which, after sitting through class and running off to some tiny, hidden used bookstore to fetch a book I need for a class tomorrow, meant that I would be having lunch around three o'clock. Which meant, of course, that I was starving. I wasn't sure what I wanted until I remembered that my mom had given me the leftover mushrooms from the Quick Chicken Fricassee. Then I knew. Oh, I tried to play coy by Googling mushroom recipes, but I knew deep down that I already had the perfect recipe saved.

As it turns out, it was more than perfect. It was absolutely heavenly.

Mushroom haters, get thee back! (Or get thee to a nunnery. You choose.)






MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
adapted from Jonesing For...

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 onion, sliced
2 cups quartered crimini mushrooms*
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons beef and chicken broth**, divided
1-2 tablespoons cooking sherry***
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (or to taste)
Egg noodles and sour cream for serving****


Directions

Melt the olive oil and butter together in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become very soft and begin to turn golden – about 10 minutes.

Whisk together 1/4 cup beef broth and cornstarch, add to the pan, along with mushrooms, salt, pepper, and cooking sherry. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and the liquid has cooked off. Turn the heat to high and add the 2 tablespoons beef broth and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, allowing it to reduce into a thick sauce.

Serve over warm egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream.

Makes 1-2 servings, depending on how many noodles you cook.


* Again, all I had were button mushrooms.

** I had about 3/4 cup chicken broth sitting in the fridge, so I crumbled a beef bouillon cube into it and stuck it in the microwave for a minute and twenty seconds, stirring it afterward so it would dissolve. If you don't want to use the bouillon cube, you could just use equal proportions of beef and chicken broth. Or you could just use beef broth, if you prefer. You might need a little extra if your sauce reduces too fast (and your mushrooms aren't as cooked as you'd like them to be). For vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth.

*** We had some leftover from a roommate's meal several weeks ago. If you don't want to use this, you can just omit it, or sub in more beef broth. The stroganoff really tastes good with a hint of sweetness to it, though, so you can also sub in apple juice.

**** We didn't have egg noodles, so I used regular bow tie pasta (as is my wont), and it tasted fine. It also seems to be my wont to make too many noodles, because I don't bother to measure or account for the fact that they'll pretty much double in size when they're done. Thus, I nearly gorged myself to death on noodles. Don't be like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment