Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cast Iron Skillet Corn Bread

I'd been wanting a cast iron for a really long time, and last weekend, my mom bought one for me! I hefted its weight gleefully in my hands, imagining all the recipes I could finally make, the ones I'd been drooling over for the last couple of years.

Let me tell you something: the cast iron skillet does not disappoint. I've used it twice already, and it makes your food look beautiful and all the more delicious.

Or maybe that's just because I've been so excited about the novelty of the thing.

I made some cornbread molasses rolls on Thursday, which, while I didn't take a picture because it was too dark (and I was stressed about having to write a seven-page paper), I will definitely make again and share with you. Today, after waking up hungry at one in the afternoon, I went for some good old fashioned corn bread.

Here's just a hint. This recipe isn't very healthy. I've been in the mood for fatty things lately.



(There's another picture if you read more.)

 
CAST IRON SKILLET CORN BREAD
adapted from this and this recipe

Ingredients

1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup shortening
butter-flavored cooking spray

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the evaporated milk, eggs and shortening; beat for 1 minute.

Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of the hot skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray.

Pour batter into a greased skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden brown and tests done.

No comments:

Post a Comment