Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Orange Mascarpone Tart

I learned something when I made this tart a month ago: I am not a cheesemaker.

The original recipe tells you how to make your own mascarpone cheese, which of course I was eager to try, if only because I needed heavy whipping cream for another recipe and could therefore kill two birds with one stone. I don't think my cheese turned out quite right, and I didn't enjoy attempting to make it as much as I thought I would (I got too impatient waiting for the temperature to rise). Maybe someday I will attempt to make cheese again in the future when I am more prepared, but that future is not now.

Still, I'm glad I tried it. And the tart still came out well, in spite of any cheese difficulties. It was even better that we had all the other ingredients on hand.

Oh. And I am in love with my tart pan and its removable bottom. It was $6.95 total, as I was doing a free trial of Amazon Prime at the time, and somehow finagled free shipping and no tax out of that. It was well worth it!





ORANGE MASCARPONE TART
from The Alchemist

Ingredients

1 pie crust for a single crust pie, or use a refrigerated or frozen crust*
2-3 large navel oranges
1 8- to 8.8-ounce container chilled mascarpone cheese, or 1 recipe of homemade mascarpone
1/2 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons honey, plus extra for drizzling
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons chopped pistachios


Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Press pie crust onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom; fold sides in and press to extend sides 1/4 inch above rim of pan. Pierce crust all over with fork. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on rack.

Meanwhile, zest 2 oranges and set aside the zest. Cut off remaining peel and pith from oranges. Cut the oranges in half, then slice 1/2 inch slices. Place orange slices on paper towels to drain slightly.

Combine mascarpone, cream, sugar, the 3 tablespoons honey, cardamom, and orange peel in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat just until blended and peaks form (do not overbeat or mixture will curdle). Spread filling evenly in cooled crust. Arrange orange slices atop tart in concentric circles; sprinkle with pistachios.

Lightly drizzle honey on top of whole tart.

This can be made early in the day and refrigerated.


* I don't remember which pie crust recipe I used here, but it had a mix of shortening and butter in it. I think for this tart, an all-butter crust would be best, though.






No comments:

Post a Comment