Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Corn Cheese Chowder

I know it's May, but we're supposed to get rain this weekend, so hopefully soup isn't entirely inappropriate. Because this soup is one of my favorite soups, and is the reason why I always keep at least one can of creamed corn in my cupboards at all times, just in case. This is the soup that I will whip up as a lazy Saturday night dinner, or an I'm-so-hungry-I'm-losing-brainpower lunch after class.

Now, I'm used to making it with American cheese, but American cheese freaks some people out, so feel free to substitute some freshly-grated cheddar.

If you use cornstarch instead of flour, this should be gluten-free.





CORN CHEESE CHOWDER
adapted from Nell Marsh @ allrecipes.com

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped onion*
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
2 cups (skim) milk
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
3/4 cup American cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste


Directions

Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onions, and saute until tender.

In a bowl, whisk milk and flour (or cornstarch) until all clumps are gone.

Add milk mixture to pan with onions and butter, and stir until thickened. Add corn, cheese, and season with salt and pepper.

Heat through, until the cheese melts, and then serve hot.

Serves 3.

(It tastes great topped with bacon bits.)


* I usually use more onion that that, and rarely measure, anyway. I probably put in about a half a large/medium onion, and even a whole small one.

1 comment:

  1. Made this with white rice flour and put quinoa in it. It smells so good. I am ready to eat that with a salad with my husband for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete